Albania is once again facing a high number of wildfire hotspots, as institutions report increased engagement on the ground and from the air. As of 20:00 on August 17, according to official data, 13 hotspots had been recorded across the country; 7 remain active and 3 others are under monitoring.

Balance reported by the authorities
According to the National Civil Protection Agency, 424 operational personnel and 14 firefighting vehicles have been engaged in extinguishing operations. The Armed Forces, according to the official version, have supported the intervention with 129 personnel, 2 firefighting vehicles, 3 helicopters and 2 Air Tractor aircraft.
The official report stresses that the priority remains the protection of lives, homes and property, while ground and air capacities have been concentrated on the active hotspots. However, the real scale of the damage and the time that will be needed to fully neutralize them remains unclear for some areas.
Dajti and Dibra among the most sensitive areas
On Mount Dajti, the operation continues with ground forces, supported by 50 Armed Forces personnel and 2 Air Force helicopters. According to the official report, there is no danger to inhabited areas. Priska is under control and under monitoring, while in Vakumonë the fire has been isolated.
In Gurë-Lurë, Dibra, one of the largest engagements has been concentrated: 180 municipal forces, 15 police officers, 30 Armed Forces personnel and 2 Air Tractor aircraft. Authorities say the opened corridors have prevented the spread of the flames toward homes and that there is currently no danger to inhabited areas.
Active hotspots in Bulqiza, Mat, Mirdita and Puka
In Qafë Helma, the fire has been extinguished from the Bulqiza side, but remains active in the direction of Selishtë. Here too, according to institutions, no danger to homes has been reported.
In Bruç, Mat, the operation is being carried out in difficult terrain, with local forces and volunteers, also supported by an Armed Forces helicopter. In Lufaj, Mirdita, two Armed Forces firefighting vehicles with 9 personnel have been deployed near homes in the Caraj neighborhood on standby.
In Fushë-Lajë, Puka, the intervention continues with 9 fire service personnel, 7 forestry forces, 46 municipal forces, 16 volunteers and 40 Armed Forces personnel. In this hotspot as well, the official version says there is no danger to inhabited areas.
Heavy engagement on paper, but fires remain open
Institutions speak of coordinated management and concentration of capacities in the most problematic areas. However, the fact that 7 hotspots continue to remain active shows that the situation remains fragile, despite the reported mobilization.
In most of the official notice, the emphasis is placed on the lack of risk to homes, while less clarity is given about the affected surface areas, environmental damage and the likely duration of operations. These are essential elements for understanding the real scale of the emergency.
The National Civil Protection Agency says it is following the situation in coordination with prefectures, municipalities and other structures of the civil protection system.
So far, according to the official report, in most active areas the discussion is of isolated hotspots, under control or partially extinguished, but some of them remain problematic on the ground.
